Saturday, April 12, 2008

If You're Gone

I can't help but wonder, if you died tonight, would anyone think to tell me? How long would it take before I found out. Would anyone stop to think that I might be upset, that I might have cared for you, that I might be lost without you.

It's a morbid thought, but an ever-present possibility. I would hear about it, no doubt, but when? Would I simply over-hear a gossip lovers mention of a tragic event involving you? Would someone seek me out, sit me down and prepare me for the bad news? Would I inquire of your absence, only to receive a look of pity, when they realise I do not know?

And what if it was me? What if I died tonight? Who would tell you? You would find out, I'm sure of it, but how? Would you be the one who took the fateful phone call? Would one of the others tell you in the few moments you stopped before passing by? Would someone bring it up in conversation, when you were expecting nothing more that friendly small talk? Or would you simply see it written down, a note left not for you, but just for anyone who cared to read it?

These thoughts will play on my mind all night. Running through scenarios of how it may be, and praying that I will never find out. The not knowing may just kill me.

What if?

No comments: